Can and Jar Your Own Food: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Ketchup, Pickles....
The green benefits of canning and jarring your own food are numerous...
- It's healthier. You know exactly what goes into what you're eating.
- Cheaper. It's particularly cheap if you can things that you grew in your own garden!
- You can keep eating locally even during off seasons. If you make jam from raspberries you bought from the farmers market in June, you can enjoy those local raspberries as a jam in December!
- Cut down on waste. You can reuse your jars over and over again!
Here are some resources for canning:
- Can your own tomato sauce
- Make your own jams, jellies, preserves, and marmalades
- Pickles! You can make pickles out of whatever you want!
- Can your own salsa
- Forget Heinz and Hunts...make your own ketchup!
- Canning supplies
Homemade canned goods also make wonderful holiday presents!