Take a Moment for Mesothelioma
I'm sure you've heard of mesothelioma, but there's still probably a lot that you don't know about how someone might get mesothelioma or how serious it is. Today, I am asking you to take a moment to learn about mesothelioma and spread awareness.
MESOTHELIOMA...DID YOU KNOW?
- Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer affecting the membrane lining of the lungs and abdomen.
- Every year close to 3,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma and are given an average of 10 months to live.
- Asbestos exposure is the #1 cause of occupational cancer in the US - even more than 30 years after the peak of its use!
- Mesothelioma is not easy to diagnose. Its symptoms resemble the symptoms of other respiratory conditions.
- No amount of asbestos exposure is safe.
- There are actually three types of mesothelioma: pleural, peritoneal, pericardial.
- Symptoms can take a long time to appear. In fact, they may not appear until 30-60 years after someone's initial exposure to asbestos!
- Asbestos an be found in older homes, schools, factories, and commercial buildings. The greatest risk comes when it becomes worn or damaged. The fibers flake off and become airborne.
- US veterans have the highest risk of mesothelioma.
- Contrary to popular belief, asbestos is not banned in the US.
- Men are four times as likely to be diagnosed with mesithelioma than women.
If you still have questions about mesothelioma, visit http://www.mesothelioma.com/.