Recent studies have found asbestos to be potentially lethal to human health. In fact, a number of fatalities caused by respiratory diseases were attributed to asbestos exposure. It is due to this discovery that regulations on handling asbestos have been enforced to prevent further casualties.... read more
Indoor air may be several times more polluted than outdoor air. It’s a disturbing fact that is nonethless true. While we may all feel undoubtedly safer in our own homes, the air that we breathe while in it may be more dangerous than what we inhale once we set foot out of our homes. Polluted indoor air can cause health problems, which may develop into chronic and possibly life-threatening respiratory illnesses.... read more
If your home was built before 1980, there is a huge change that any part of it contains asbestos, which was a very common substance added to building materials back in the 1950s to 1980s. Due to its fire-resistant and insulating properties, asbestos was used in wall and ceiling plasters, floor and ceiling tiles, floorboards, as well as some vinyl floor and wallpaper backings.... read more
Molds are nature’s little helpers, and are considered part of the natural environment. However, you wouldn’t really want to share your home with them, as they tend to not only break down the things on which surfaces they grow on, they can also cause health problems. Most people employ harsh methods of removing mold and spores from inside their houses, but rather than using bleach or borax which could affect pets or the environment, there are other natural and eco-friendly ways to kill mold at home.
Previously a common component of a lot of construction materials and household products, asbestos continues to threaten both human health and the environment even decades after its use was discontinued.
Let’s take a look at this harmful substance and its impact to the environment.
Mold growth may be the last thing on your mind when you think of threats to your health and your home. However, inhaling or touching household molds - whether its the black spots on your shower curtain or white patches on the basement floor - can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), mold is everywhere. It can enter the home through open doors, vents, windows and other systems. Mold outside can also enter the home by attaching onto clothing, shoes, bags and pets.
While it is impossible to prevent mold exposure, there are a lot of ways to control its growth. One important thing to note is that mold needs moisture, food and warmth to flourish. That’s why you can see it accumulating around leaks in roofs or pipes or where there has been flooding. It also grows well on organic products such as paper, cardboard or wood. It also thrive in paints, dust, fabric and furniture.
To control mold growth inside the home, follow these tips:
Eliminate moisture sources
Check for leaks around pipes, sinks, air conditioning units, refrigerators and other sources of water, especially in the basement. Have them repaired if necessary.
Empty and clean refrigerator drip pans promptly.
Avoid leaving damp clothes in the laundry basket. Wash and dry them promptly.
Do not carpet bathrooms.
Most mold need 24-48 hours of moisture to begin to grow. Make sure to dry wet areas within the day to prevent mold growth.